Pages

For more about Allison and her books visit her website at http://www.allisonsimon.com/. For now, please relax and brace yourself for the occasionally coherent ramblings of Allison's mind.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Allison: Blog Reader Appreciation Day

Hi, everyone! I just wanted to take a moment to officially declare today: “Allison’s Blog Reader Appreciation Day.”

Not so long ago this blog saw nothing but the occasional visit from my mom. And actually, I’m not entirely sure she ever looked at it. She probably still doesn’t, so never mind. (If you do, I love you, Mom!)

Anyway, it’s been great to see so many of you come on board and hang out with us here even if most of you are pretty quiet. I don’t blame you. What do you really say to half of the insanity we throw out there? Still, despite our randomness, you stick by us and we have readers from all over the world. We love you all dearly and decided it’s time for a special acknowledgement to all of you.

To those in Germany, stay tuned for a special post on "Das Experiment" in the near future (and plenty on the Bundesliga, I’m sure). In case you’re wondering, Daniel Mueller in my next novel Franklin Academy is German, but is not in any way a reference to Bayern Munich’s Thomas Mueller. Our son Lukas’ name, however, may have been inspired by Lukas Podolski…

To those in Canada, since my other half was born and raised in Toronto, Canada will always be near and dear to our hearts. We travel there frequently and visit with family and friends all over Ontario. You will see much rumination about those experiences. Maybe we can BBQ next time we’re up there.

I would also like to give a special hello to our reader in Indonesia. Even though I know you’re only a spammer trying to get us to buy a cheap laptop battery, I appreciate you stopping by. I hope you’re at least enjoying a laugh or two as you post your spam.

For those in Ireland, Holly wanted to do an entry on a recent Irish film she saw, but I asked her not to because of the controversial nature of the subject. (If you’d like to have a private discussion, by all means, please contact me via e-mail allisonsimon@hotmail.com. I always love constructive dialogue on any subject and learning as much as possible about other people, cultures, and the world that houses all of us).

*Quick Aside: That goes for anyone. E-mail me if you have something you want to say but aren’t ready to go public. If I receive your comment directly through e-mail I will assume you want it to remain private unless you state otherwise. Just put “blog” in the subject line so I see the context of your message.

To those from the United States, hey, how’s it going? Why haven’t you bought my book yet??? Kidding! …but you should. AND, we love you too.

We’re all in this epoch together regardless of who we are, where we’re from, to what we aspire, or where we’ve been. We’re all pieces of the same blip in history and have the same obligations to respect and understand each other even if we don’t always agree.

So one big, giant hug all around, and thank you for being a part of this journey. Hopefully this is only the beginning!

2 comments:

  1. A controversial Irish film...I'm guessing it wasn't the one with Colin Farrell and the selkie. Though that did take a somewhat dark turn. Hmmmm. Curiouser and curiouser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you referring to "In Bruges?" If so, I really liked that film. Actually, I'm a fan of Colin Farrell. He's been in several that I thought were good. (I think he's a fantastic actor, although the image he portrays as a person is questionable, but who really knows...) "Intermission" was interesting. "Tigerland" was phenomenal.

    But the film I was referring to was actually about Northern Ireland, not Ireland, and the tensions in Belfast during the '80s. Since I'm not very familiar with the sentiment of that region regarding that issue I didn't want to address something I have no right to talk about. I at least have some knowledge or background to talk intelligently about most of what's posted on this blog and hestitate to bring up issues publicly that are either very controversial or I don't understand fully. The film piqued my interest though which is why I'd love to talk to someone who's open to filling in an ignorant American. Here we only get the version our history textbooks teach so I'm curious about other people's perspectives. I also know what Hollywood teaches the world about the United States is NOTHING like reality here, so I always wonder if it's the same when I watch films from other countries. It was called "50 Dead Men Walking" and starred Jim Sturgess and Ben Kingsley.

    ReplyDelete